Diversity and Innovation
"A proud Hispanic Serving Institution residing on the historical lands of the Kumeyaay"
SDSU honors it's residence on Kumeyaay land.
We stand upon a land that carries the footsteps of millennia of Kumeyaay people. They are a people whose traditional lifeways intertwine with a worldview of earth and sky in a community of living beings. This land is part of a relationship that has nourished, healed, protected and embraced the Kumeyaay people to the present day. It is part of a world view founded in the harmony of the cycles of the sky and balance in the forces of life. For the Kumeyaay, red and black represent the balance of those forces that provide for harmony within our bodies as well as the world around us.
As students, faculty, staff and alumni of San Diego State University we acknowledge this legacy from the Kumeyaay. We promote this balance in life as we pursue our goals of knowledge and understanding. We find inspiration in the Kumeyaay spirit to open our minds and hearts. It is the legacy of the red and black. It is the land of the Kumeyaay.
Eyay e’Hunn My heart is good.
Division of Diversity and Innovation
The Division of Diversity and Innovation (DDI) is focused on building the inclusive excellence of SDSU’s students and faculty, fostering a welcoming campus climate, the quality of the SDSU student experience, and enhancing diversity within the pathways through higher education. The Office maintains a close working relationship with and serves as a resource for campus leaders on matters of inclusion and diversity, and works with the University Senate. DDI works proactively to facilitate an integrated vision and shared responsibility for advancing institutional goals and for fostering and affirming a campus culture based on the core values of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Faculty and Staff Goals
- Recruitment of faculty and staff who are reflective of the diverse students and communities served by SDSU;
- Fostering an environment of inclusion for faculty and staff from underrepresented groups;
- Enhancing the career pathways of faculty and staff from underrepresented groups; and
- Cultivating relationships with the local community that advance the well-being of diverse individuals and communities.
- Recruitment of students who are representative of the rich diversity of region and the world.;
- Fostering an environment that is welcoming, affirming, and empowering for students from diverse backgrounds;
- Increasing the pathways of diverse students in and through higher education; and
- Enhancing the retention and success of students from diverse backgrounds and communities.