CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - Provost’s Professor of Equity in Education
The Office of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion is accepting applications for a position with the Provost’s Professors of Equity in Education. Professors of Equity support the implementation of initiatives from the Office of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion. Professors provide ongoing professional development for faculty and staff on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. In their role, Professors provide intensive, ongoing professional learning opportunities for SDSU faculty on diversity, equity, and inclusion related topics. Some examples of professional development provided include unconscious and implicit bias, identity-based micro-aggressions, best teaching practices for underserved students, socio-cultural competence, and becoming a Hispanic Serving Institution. A wide range of disciplinary diversity will be prioritized among these Professors
The Provost’s Professors of Equity in Education receive three-units per semester for the 2019/2020 academic year. The commitment for this position is one-year, with the possibility for renewal based on resources. Provost professors report to the Provost Chair of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion. This initiative is sponsored by the Office of the Provost and was reviewed and approved by the Senate committee on Diversity, Equity, and Outreach.
- Call for applications – May 10
- Application closes – May 24
- Interviews – early June
Candidates for position must:
- demonstrate commitment to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion within university settings;
- be an SDSU faculty member (full-time or part-time) (tenured, tenure-track, or temporary);
- have experience providing professional learning opportunities on diversity topics such as unconscious and implicit bias, identity-based micro-aggressions, teaching practices for underserved students, and cultural competency. Expertise is not expected in all areas, simply a willingness and openness to learn and to serve;
- demonstrate willingness to engage in ongoing professional learning around issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- be collegial, with strong interpersonal skills, and a track record of working collaboratively with colleagues within and across disciplines.
Please submit a letter of intent and curriculum vita to Cristina Alfaro, Provost Chair of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion by 5pm PST on May 24, 2019. In addition, applicants must also have a short letter of support from their department chair/director.
Submit via email to: [email protected]
The SDSU Inclusion Program is led by the Provost Chair of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion under the direction of the Chief Diversity Officer. With support from the Provost’s Professors of Equity in Education, this program provides intensive, ongoing professional learning opportunities for SDSU faculty on diversity-related topics. The program is designed to ensure that all faculty are aware of SDSU’s diversity and inclusion goals and are provided with capacity-building activities that can better prepare all personnel to support these efforts. These sessions will occur during unit meetings, retreats, or at meetings that are mutually agreed upon. Some examples of professional development opportunities will include unconscious and implicit bias, racial/gender micro-aggressions, teaching practices for underserved students, and cultural competence, and becoming a Hispanic Serving Institution.
Diversity Strategic Planning
On February 2018, the SDSU University Senate passed a resolution to create a campus- wide diversity plan. The resolution also requires that individual diversity plans be developed for all academic and administrative units/divisions in a manner that is congruent with the university’s diversity plan. To support the implementation of this effort, the Provost Chair of Faculty Diversity, Equity and Inclusion with the support of Provost’s Professors of Equity in Education will provide hands-on professional development and guidance for departments on the following:
- Examining data on equity and diversity for students, faculty, and staff
- Collective sense making around areas of disproportionate impact
- Identification of goals, objectives, interventions, planned resources, and
- assessment to address areas of disproportionate impact (in alignment with the University diversity plan)
- On-going professional development around topics that can assist units in the development and implementation of diversity plans
Faculty Search Committee Professional Development
The goal of the Office of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion is to advance diversity through a process that includes: 1) creating a more robust applicant diversity pool for tenure-track and temporary faculty positions; and 2) providing professional development to search committees on issues such as unconscious bias and micro-aggressions. To support this process, the Provost Chair of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion with the Provost’s Professors of Equity in Education will develop and present professional development modules tailored specifically to the SDSU community on implicit bias and micro-aggressions in the hiring process. These professional development sessions will cover the range of topics applicable to the search process, including the following:
- Development of job descriptions that attract diverse candidates and convey SDSU’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Understanding of bias in commonly employed applicant criteria
- Understanding how social closure (referrals and networks) influences applicant pools
- Pre-screening discussions on desired experiences and skills
- Bias introduced through informal background research on candidates
- Common phrases and sense-making that conveys bias (e.g., fit, likability, strong)
- Bias in the messages received by candidates during interviews and during on-campus visits
- Bias introduced through off-list reference checks