Diversity Rankings and Distinctions
“San Diego State should stand up and take a bow. The university is doing a great job
of recruiting, retaining and graduating Hispanics. It is clearly a vital part of the
-- Adalyn Hixson, editor, The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
San Diego State University is dedicated to ensuring equal access to higher education for students of all backgrounds. SDSU’s diversity-related achievements and programs include:
Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award (HEED) winning institution.
Hispanic Serving Instutution (HSI) status
A Hispanic-serving institution, or HSI, is a term used for a Federal program designed to assist colleges or universities in the United States that attempt to assist first generation, majority low income Hispanic students.
- Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award (Source: Insight Into Diversity)
- 2nd in the nation for graduating multiracial students in Business Administration. 2017 (Source: Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Top 6 nationwide for master’s degrees awarded to Hispanics in Math and Statistics.
- 12th in the nation for graduating Native American Engineers (Source: Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- 5th in the nation for graduating Hispanic students majoring in Psychology (Source: Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- 5 out of 5 Star Rating for LGBTQ friendly campuses. 2017 (Source: Campus Pride)
- Top 30 for ethnic diversity among national universities 2017 (Source US News and World Report)
- Top 30 LGBTQ-Friendly Campuses 2017 (Source Campus Pride)
- 6th in the nation for graduating Asian American students in Public Administration and Social Service professions. (Source Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Best Colleges for Veterans 2015 (Source Military Times)
- Best Business Schools for Veterans 2015 (Source Military Times)
- Top 200 College for Native Americans 2017 (Source: Winds of Change Magazine)
- SDSU is No. 8 in the nation for graduating ethnic minoritity undergraduates in Public Admistration and Social Service Professions according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education 2013 rankings
- SDSU ranks No. 4 in California and 11 the nation and for granting Hispanic undergraduate degrees. – Hispanic Outlook Magazine 2016.
- Graduation rates for ethnically diverse students are up from 33 percent in 2002 to 65 percent in 2010—exceeding the rate of increase by students as a whole.
- SDSU is recognized as one of the nations best universities for women and a top 25 MBA program for women by Professional Women's Magazine 2017